Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Who Knew?

I have been off of work since October 27th. I couldn't wait until I had some time off and I could stay at home. While I was working I thought about all of the stuff I was going to accomplish with my 2 1/2 months off. Organizing closets, fall cleaning, visiting friends. What I didn't count on was the endless hours that are in a day.

So far I haven't accomplished a whole lot. I've done some house cleaning and some baking...enough to gain about 5 pounds. Yikes. So where is the bliss I thought would be waiting for me at home? My day consists of waking Girlie up at 6:30 for her shower, making coffee, having a smoke (I haven't gotten around to quitting yet - that was another thing on my "to-do" list), making Girlie and Boy breakfast, making lunches, yelling at Girlie to hurry up (1/2 hour in the shower and another 15 minutes deciding what to wear), signing notices, shooing the kids out the door to catch the school bus. This brings me to 7:40. Sigh.

Then I tidy up, surf the web, check some emails and drink more coffee. I generally get a load of laundry in as well. So there is my morning. Fulfilling don't you think? This afternoon, I shook things up and made some unbaked chocolate cookies. Now I am back on the computer and it is only 1:15. Good Lord.

So what is on the agenda for the rest of the day, you ask? I plan on making a casserole for supper, possibly lasagne, cleaning the kitchen after the mess I made from making the cookies, watching Oprah and Dr. Phil. This should take me to 4:00 when Girle will get home on the bus. Boy needed his haircut in a serious way so he is walking to the barber shop after school. I gave hime $15 so I hope that is enough. Mike is going to pick him up at 3:30 so they should be home around 4:30. Girlie watches Little House on the Prairie everyday after school so she won't be alot of company until after that is over. Girlie has a sudden fascination with all things Little House. She is reading the series, watching the reruns, pretending her playmobile people are the Ingalls and enacts out various pioneer hardships with all of her playmobile sets. I'm sure she would change her name to Laura if she could. Not that I am complaining. Much more imaginative than Boy, who would spend all his time on the computer or in front of his X-Box if I would let him. He is getting a bit pudgy too. Not that I'm one to talk of course, but I am worried that his inactivity is getting out of hand. How does one go about getting their kids off their behinds and doing something that involves excercise?

I know alot of it falls on my shoulders, so here is what I hope will be a plan for our family's fitness. After the kids are done the dishes am hoping that I can get everyone to go for a walk in the evenings. Even if it is freezing cold and blowing snow. Which it is right now, by the way. Tonight I hope all of us can get off our tushes and take a walk to the library (it will only take about 40 minutes to walk there and back, but it is a start anyway). Let me know if you have any other great ideas for getting my family in shape.

No comments: