Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Signs and Omens

My trip to Saskatchewan is not going at all like I planned. First of all, there was no bus service to Prince George in the afternoon. The powers that be at Greyhound figured it wasn't profitable and cut it out. I had planned to take the afternoon bus and overnight in PG and fly out this morning. What do they say about the best laid plans....Anyway, I digress. The only other option was for me to get on the greyhound at 1:45 AM. That's right AM!!! If all went according to plan, I would have arrived in PG at 6:30 with tons of time to spare before I had to catch my flight at 10:30. Unfortunately, the bus gods were not smiling on me last night. I took a taxi into town at 11:00 pm and hung out at Boston Pizza where my friend was bartending. I drank a few beers and ate some appies. When her shift was over we headed to Tim Horton's for a coffee. Then she dropped me off at the bus station, well really, she dropped me off at the 7-11 because the bus station is even open at that ungodly hour. After she dropped me off I found out the bus was running late because the highway from Terrace was closed because of a major accident. The highway ended up being closed for more than 12 hours! After waiting until 3:45, we were finally told that the bus hadn't even left Terrace yet. I just wanted to lay my head down and cry, because at that point I knew that there was no way in hell I was going to make my flight, never mind that I was so tired that my eye balls felt like they were going to fall out of my head! So I quickly phoned the airline and rescheduled my flight. I called the taxi and he took me back home. Where I slept. Like a log.

So now I get to try and do it all over again today. I get on the bus at 3:45 pm and get to Prince George at 9:00 pm, where hopefully, I will sleep like a log once again. I have to be up at 4:00 or so in the morning to get to the airport 2 hours before my flight. Why in god's green earth they make you check in 2 hours before at the PG airport is beyond me. Ah well, the joys of air travel. Perhaps I should be taking this as some kind of sign that I really should not be leaving my cosy little house and trekking halfway across the country. The things we do for family.

Thank goodness my friend that is picking me up in Saskatoon is so understanding. I haven't seen her in 4 years but we have known each other since kindergarten. We both stood up at each others weddings. Old friends are definitely the best kind. I am also a bit nervous to see all my old friends as it has been so long since I was last home. Hopefully they missed me too and will take the time to see me. I will post when I get home in a week and update how my trip went.

No comments: